The Fleetwood name derives from one of the oldest coachbuilders in the industry dating back to the horse and carriage days. Fleetwood was bought by Fisher in 1925 and brought into the General Motors fold. They became a semi-custom builder for the GM range but the name began to appear on Cadillac's custom built limousines and extended wheelbase sedans. Cadillac Fleetwood parts became synonymous with custom built. It was not until 1985 that the Fleetwood name became a model in its own right on the front drive C-body. In the 90s it returned to the big rear wheel drive D-body for a few years offering one of the 90s biggest cars. This final Fleetwood also saw duty as hearses and limousines until it was discontinued in 1996.